Our third and final sprint for the semester was our strongest sprint to date. Everyone in the team could feel that we were really hitting our stride and solving issues as they were being created. We were able to look at what went wrong in our prior sprints and not get trapped in the same pitfalls that we encountered early in the project.
We were laser focused on what we needed to do. Our productivity and communication levels were at an all-time high which really helped in the amount of work we were able to produce. We were also able to realize when an issue was more than a bite-sized problem and successfully broke them up into smaller issues as needed. We had a clearer vision of the direction we wanted to take the application in and for the most part we met the expectation we set for ourselves this sprint: A demo application that highlights its main functionality.
I mean… There wasn’t too much that really went wrong with our workflow during this sprint. I think the feeling that we performed very well was very tangible to anyone watching us operate as a team or looking at our team’s activity on the project repository. The only bad thing that would come as a result of this sprint is that we are concluding our work on our application that we witnessed grow from inception.
What could we have done better?
I feel like the only thing we could’ve done better was perhaps having a longer discussion on how we envision the app to look in the future. Leaving better instructions for the next team of students who will work on this project is the only thing that comes to mind when I think about anything we might have lacked in.
Contributions that I added to the application include
Create a writing page for an examinee to record the prompt they heard from the proctor. They will type out what they heard instead of using their finger or a stylus to write it out. The current version of this feature is a temporary solution until a way to implement the correct functionality is discovered.
Create a page that holds all the prompts the test proctor will ask the examinee to write(type) in English. A .csv file named “sentences” was added into the projects assets folder. The Prompts.js file reads from and parses the sentences from the file into a list which is then displayed in a ScrollView on the page.
Adding React Native Paper styling to Writing and Prompt pages. We decided to use React Native Paper styles throughout our application. In order to remain consistent with the application design, I added card features for the elements on each page.
Merging of Writing page and Prompt pages. After the pages were created a teammate suggested that we merge the pages instead of having to navigate too much. This was a great idea because it was much easier to implement than having to move from page to page as well as improving the UI.
While working on my own issues, I aided my teammates in working with our app’s counterpart to the writing portion. The bug we encountered involved displaying a question from a list of questions on a separate page. While we couldn’t resolve the bug itself, we were able to verify that it is possible to display another question successfully on a “new page” but do not have the means to display the correct one at the moment.
From the blog CS@Worcester – You have reached the upper bound by cloudtech360 and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.