The first sprint for Software development capstone class was believed to a successful event. Our objective was based upon the epics given to us and broken down to smaller issues to tackle the epics. Our team’s goal is to create new repositories for the backend and API. The nature of this sprint was to make sure the backend and API were setup with their schemas, endpoints, and dev containers to be running toward our next sprint we going to formulate. Throughout the sprint we did a successful job at setting up the infrastructure and revisiting the previous semester assignment from Software architecture was a major help to us to progress at a steady rate.
There were some issues that our team that we came across our sprint that we struggled and affected our productivity and time management. First, whenever we conduct our standup meetings, we tend to get sidetracked and off topic, one person over speaks another person and bot waited till the end of the meeting thus making us waste our meetings and lose track of time. Second, as we learn more on GitLab and its functions we had many problems with repositories and understanding the merge requests as well as its purpose. The team was stuck upon making the appropriate comments to make a record of what we have discussed during the standup meetings or in general if needed for the next team to look through. Third, making unnecessary repositories, this is what we really struggled with because once we were working the API and we made a repository to accommodate each issue we had, sometimes we accidently work on each other repositories and created a workflow mess and had to revert the commit we made to detangle the situations that occurred.
To be sure we don’t have these issues reoccur, we had made an understand on the major conflicts we have faced to be squashed towards our future sprints. We agreed that for our standup meetings is to be respectful and allow the person to finish speaking their side and wait for all questions till we are finished. To make our own repositories in general to reduce confusion when we are working on our own issues and committing them to the correct repositories. Applying up to date comments in the issues we create and after our discussions to keep a record.
Other than my team’s performance, there are improvements I want to make towards myself. When I was making one of the schemas for the API repositories, I had trouble on making one myself and had to ask a teammate and do research on a detailed explanation of it and to compose one. An issue like this one could’ve been done in a class period, but it took me two because of it. Backend is a weak point for me and to squash this fear is to resort to the previous classwork and material. As well as do massive amounts of online research to completely understand how to about be implementing the backend which is required for the next two sprints. Another improvement I can make is that for the issues I create are too broad and vague to understand, had some of them revised to be more meaningful.
Sprint 1 Issues
- Created documentation for the General repository which was created during this sprint. [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/food-keeper-backend/-/issues/2]
- Created API Paths for the schemas . [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/food-keeper-backend/-/issues/14]
- Added Dev Containers to the Backend Repository. [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/food-keeper-backend/-/issues/18]
- Added the generic responses in the API src folder for the paths and schemas to correspond. [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/food-keeper-backend/-/issues/13]
- Added Dev Containers to the API Repository. [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/food-keeper-backend/-/issues/17]
- Created Two additional schemas which are named CookingTipsArray and CookingMethodsArray. [https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/foodkeeper/foodkeeperapi/-/issues/3]