This last sprint did not go as smooth as the previous, we encountered a bunch of roadblocks with the backend that sort of disturbed the plans and dynamic established previously. We were able to get to a decent and somewhat better end product then what we started off with but we didn’t quite reach some of our main goals.
What didn’t work well
As a team:
The biggest issue was the backend not running. We started the spring with all the endpoints written down but we had an issue with connecting it to the database and getting it to work. About half the issues of the sprint were solely related to the backend and now that we could run or test anything, a lot of us were left with not much to do, or not knowing what to do. Consequently it led to a lot of not really productive time.
Going into the sprint, my task was supposed to be testing and fixing the two endpoints that I wrote and that didn’t end up happening because of the backend not running. Since there was already two other members actively working on the backend, I found myself not working on anything for like half the sprint. At point, I would join in with the backend work but it turned out to be us three doing the same test so I decided to look inside the folder to see if there was something else I could do.
I also think that this sprint being toward the end of the semester, I ended up focusing my energy on another project since I couldn’t find anything to do.
What worked well
As a team:
We were able to fully refactor the front-ends for the most part, we updated all repositories with all the necessary add-ons (commitlint, RabbitMQ tutorials,…). The backend was created and is running. It’s not working yet and consequently the endpoints are not tested yet. In general, we accomplished over 80% of what the goal was for the semester so it was indeed a success.
The one good outcome was that I learned a little bit about automation testing. There was a Testing folder inside the microservices example with classes like axios.js, chai.js api.js and so on. It was a bit confusing but I discovered a bunch of links (blogs and videos) that helped a bit. I pushed a document with all the links in the documentation folder for the other teams to refer to it.
Changes to be Made
Most changes that need to be made are for the next team. They can work on the following:
- get the backend to run, it is very close to being ready as it is working already;
- Take a brief moment to modify the user interfaces for check inventory and add inventory to prevent user error;
- Test and fix all endpoints;
- Develop the front-end calls based off what was set up in the backend and connect it to the web pages for testing the frontend containers with the backend