A reflection on what I learned from this week’s sprint is
that when proper systems have been setup and the team synergy has reached proficient
levels, the completion rate of tasks increase during the sprint and
communication within the group is significantly better.
On the topic of proper systems, this includes repository
management, branch management, issue tracking, and issue discussions. These
five systems are currently being utilized between the two groups assigned to
this project. It took several months of trial and error to effectively plan out
guidelines and familiarize ourselves with them. This effectively allowed the
groups to communicate clear intentions towards a certain issue, reduce
duplications of tasks, and complete significantly more tasks this sprint than
all previous sprints.
Furthermore, improvements towards team synergy allowed us to
communicate more frequently during our sprint planning. This resulted in less
confusing discussions as we can express our concerns towards specific tasks or directly
question certain decisions without fear.
Our main focus for this week’s sprint was to finish the remaining
tasks that would be carried over to this week’s sprint, clean up any mess made
during the development cycle and create an appropriate presentation detailing
our experience working on the project. Finishing up the remaining assigned tasks
will allow us to close up loose ends. This will also create an opportunity to remove
all active and past branches on git before another group takes on the project.
The remaining tasks consisted of several input fields for
the intake form. We chose to continue these tasks because they are relatively
simple to implement. Other tasks that were too large of a job were postponed
indefinitely and were not considered. An example of this would be designing a
database schema for the backend. The reason for abandoning this task for this
sprint is that there would not be enough time between discussing and creating
new iterations of the schema to clear up problems. Time invested towards
designing the database where the implementation will probably be done by a
future group would deem efforts wasted. The effort redistributed towards
working on the presentation was deemed more useful.
Our group contained five members, of which four worked on
the Food Pantry Web Application and one was dedicated to the FoodKeeper API. For
our presentation, we each contributed as much information about what was done throughout
this project’s development process. In the end, it is clearly divided into a
section for the Thea’s Food Pantry Web Application and FoodKeeper API.
What I worked on during this week’s sprint is providing
appropriate code snippets for the backend. This also includes providing any
missing content based on the requirements provided for the presentation.
Lastly, I made an effort to ensure a smooth delivery of the presentation by suggesting
a system for delivery. The system is quite simple as we marked down exactly
which slides, we would like to cover, exchange ideas on how the information
will be presented, and made sure that if changes needed to be made, the group
will be notified. As our chapter for this project comes to a close, the
experiences thus far was impactful and I enjoyed working with my team for the
past month on this project as a whole.
From the blog CS@Worcester – Progression through Computer Science and Beyond… by Johnny To and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.