During this sprint my previous work in getting the front ends linked to each other for testing would finally be quickly integrated for the two front ends addInventory and checkInventory.
While figuring out how to properly implement it into checkoutGuest front end, it was found to be not properly set up like the other projects and would require setting it up to be the same as the other front ends in terms of their vue formatting.
I was spending the majority of my time learning more about vue and how to set it up within an already created project and managing the new changes when I decided to take a peek at the previous branches as the way this project was currently setup didn’t match the others and I considered the possibility of something in development perhaps being left behind.
I found a branch called updatedFunctionality, and in it was a project formatting exactly like the other front ends and I knew then and there that we needed to integrate it within our current branch. My professor recommended that before we merge it into the main one to do a merge into a test branch to simulate what it would be like between the two and see what conflicting merges we would have to deal with. He also preferred that we didn’t just erase the main branch’s development as to not leave out the work created by previous students.
I successfully merged the two branches and got approval to merge the main and this branch and deal with the conflicting merges of which there was not too much. With some help from my fellow group member Fadi Akram the branch would be merged and my I would implement the changes needed to connect this front ends to the others like I did at the start of the sprint.
Afterwards I would spend my time testing and working on the user interaction portion of checkoutGuest as it involves a point in which the user of this station will be scanning or manually entering in student ID’s to record items being taken out of Thea’s Pantry. Working on previously established work from Professor Wurst, I modified the user interface to accept ID from both keypresses, scanning, and manually entry by keypress in the same format as it being scanned. I also made sure to prevent future issues by preventing negative values being submitted and locking the text box for user ID when a proper value is entered to prevent further changes if there was a mistake made. I also added a clear button should the user desire to make a change as they have entered the ID, should it not match the one they have typed.
There is still some modifications that should be made to the interface like allowing during manual entry to delete the desired values and modifying the value of the idnum variable to match. It would be just checking for the backspace or delete keypress and modifying the value, but it would require testing and I can’t say I am certain if that would work perfectly just from that idea.
Overall this was a far more productive sprint for myself than the previous ones. The efforts made in the previous ones helped me to succeed in this sprint thanks to understanding vue and html better.
During this sprint my team was primarily focused on fixing the backend and had I finished my work sooner I would have been working with them as well trying to debug it. My team did come together well to focus on that issue but our ability to work on testing the backend was limited by it not being able to startup and work.
From the blog CS@Worcester – A Boolean Not An Or by Julion DeVincentis and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.