This last sprint I feel as though I went backwards. I am not too happy with my results. I spent the majority of my time working on semantic-release for the backend, frontend, and api branches, which I was only able to partially complete. Reflecting on this sprint, I should have absolutely given up and started work on something else. If I had given up someone else might have tried, and one of my team members might have had a different way of approaching the problem and solved it. If I were to look at this optimistically, its good that I messed up in class rather than in a real job. I was also able to write my findings in the issues I was working on so that the next student to take up the issue won’t be starting from scratch.
When working on the backend and api branches I was getting errors that did not make sense to me. I believe that there is something wrong with the repositories since that should be the only difference between the backend and api. I communicated this in my issue descriptions.
If I had to say something good about myself I really do like my issue descriptions. I am not sure if it will be helpful for the next students, but I really hope it is. I even tried to suggest possible solutions I was thinking of. I knew that I had to try hard to write good documentation because when we inherited this project from the previous group, there was little documentation for us to go off.
Something I think my team could have done better is to check in with each other more often. Sometimes I did not know what my teammates were working on, which is something you never want when working in agile production development. We slacked off on our daily standup meetings; if we didn’t I could have communicated my struggle with semantic-release. We could have made more of an effort to perform out standup meetings correctly, and I know that would have definitely helped me, and probably others as well.
Something that I could have done better relates to communication as well; I could have asked for help. I am not sure why, but throughout my struggles with semantic-release I did not ask my group for help at all. I did ask other people, but if I had gone to my group they would have known about my problem, been thinking about solutions, and they would care about fixing it since it directly relates to them. For whatever reason I kept believing that I could solve it myself since I got it working on the frontend, but now I realize this was a mistake.
I am not going to lie to myself; I did worse this sprint compared to sprint two. I think it is important to look at your own work objectively and critically in order to improve. Like I said before, I am grateful for this learning experience while still in college. I know that an employer will expect me to make mistakes, but I am not the kind of person to be satisfied producing sub-par products. I will do my best to learn from this experience and try to not repeat the same mistakes in the future.