With the conclusion of our last sprint, I’ll start by reflecting on the team performance. I think we went into this sprint pretty determined to get the backend fully up and running. Those of us who were involved in the backend development started working on trying to get the backend running in order to test each of the endpoints. Though the container was running, we were unable to use http calls to test any of the endpoints. We realized that there was a bigger issue than what we initially thought, resulting in us spending most of the sprint trying to get the backend server running. Another thing I would like to point out was that we had issues that were a bit too ambitious. We structured our sprint around the idea that we were going to have the backend running fairly quickly. And because of this we were essentially unable to do a good amount of issues because they required the backend to be running.
Reflecting back on my performance, I would say that I communicated well with the team at the start of the sprint. I discussed with my team during the sprint planning, helping the team structure what needed to be done for the upcoming sprint. At the beginning of the sprint, I assigned myself issue #31 in the backend, which was to test the removeInventory endpoint. I spent time trying to test with http calls but I was not getting any response. I then learned that we were having issues getting the backend to run, which explains why I was not getting a response. I think when it came to this point, I started becoming unproductive due to the fact that my assigned issue depended on the backend running.
As a team, we definitely could have improved in the communication aspect. At some points during the sprint it was a bit unclear as to what everyone was working on. Most of our progress came to a halt by the issues with the backend, and I think we should’ve put all hands on deck to look into the issues. I do also think we could’ve come up with more manageable issues. For example, a task such as implementing keycloak into the inventory system is something that we can’t gauge the weight of until we actually start working on it. We could’ve come up with issues to get the backend running as opposed to things to do after the backend is running.
Coming away from this sprint, I will need to remember to communicate with my team, engaging with them to see if they need help with anything. I think I should’ve spent more time looking at the entire structure of the project to get a better understanding of how it should work, that way I can look into issues as to why things aren’t running. I will also need to consider setting realistic goals and understanding what things can be done in certain time frames. I still learned a lot from these past three springs and I look forward to applying this knowledge to my professional career.
issue #31: Troubleshooting the removeInventory.js endpoint which was unsuccessful due to the backend not running as intended.
issue #3: Bundle items-api.0.1.0.yaml to be used in the backend.
From the blog CS@Worcester – Null Pointer by vrotimmy and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.