I was part of IAM System group in this project and my job is to support and secure other system through keycloak. It was a 3-person team, we are going to implement a third-party system (KeyCloak), deploying the system (using docker) and help other system by embedding in their teams.
What I think that worked well in this sprint was that we were clear on what to read and what to look for. We understood the instructions and started the work that we thought it would be useful for us to know and learn. There is a lot of documentation online for KeyCloack, how it works with other system, with docker, examples that we could try etc. This link is a good source for anyone who is new to Keycloak and wants to know how it works. There is information for everything you might need with keycloak.
Something that I would say it didn’t work well in the beginning it was the amount of information we had to learn and go through. Because this was a project that was new to everyone, we were kind of lost in the beginning and placed issues that weren’t necessary or missed issues that were necessary. It is risky when you are introduced with a new tool and you get lost in the sea of information. Also, we tried to learn tools that we didn’t need it, or we were overthinking some basic stuff that didn’t need a lot of time spending on it.
What we could improve like a team was working more together. Most of the time we spent it working individually and sometimes we were not on the same page. Also, we could have found more examples online or use work from other classes that were close to our project and practice on those during class time. We were focused more in the GitLab board and finding issues than working in what we had and making something more concrete than documentation. Also, when we assigned issues, we could have left it unsigned, as long as, all issues were done by the end of the sprint.
As an individual what I could have changed is being more open with the team and discuss the stuff that were bothering me rather than avoid it and try to hide that I didn’t know how it worked.
In our first sprint we had enough issues for a team of 3 people. Most of the issues were about introduction to Keycloack and figure it out in theory how this system would work with our system. Issues were mostly individual but also, we had ones that we developed in group. I was assigned to getting started with keyclaok which was in group, the authorization services which is an issue that I continue to work on, upgrading that is a closed issue because the way we are going to use keycloack we don’t need to upgrade it and connecting with reporting system to help them in making keycloak work with their system.
We all wrote our documentation on the issues, what we learned and how we are going to use it in the future. The link is provided in GitLab so anyone who comes after us or want to check on what we did, can use it, and help the others too.
To the right side of this wiki page there are all the documentation present that me and my team wrote about in this blog. Overall, it was our first experience and it was more like a sprint practice to be ready for the next one.
From the blog CS@Worcester – Tech, Guaranteed by mshkurti and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.