To start off, our first print went very well. Our project for this class is
the LibreFoodPantry Identity and Access Management System. Our main goal in
this sprint was to get familiar with Keycloak and learn how to implement it and
also building a small API. The issue that was created for Keycloak and what I
did researches on are “Keycloak authentication”, which had a weight
of two and “Deploying Keycloak on AWS Kubernetes” which had a weight
of two as well based on the time it took to do research and find good resources
to help us move forward with our projects.
In our team, we decided to divide and separate tasks. It was actually a way
for us to do multiple tasks at the same time and go forward with the plan. So,
Mike and Lena started working with frontend and backend, then with API after,
George who was the scrum master, took care of managing everything, handling the
whole group, creating documents. I and Andrew did researches on Keycloak and how
to implement it. Even though we all had our tasks to do, we were also able to
help others in case of need.
Doing research seems an easy task, but in reality, it is not. When I started
first doing research on Keycloak authentication, I had a lot of different links
but it was hard for me to find one that had the exact information that me and
the group were looking for. Not saying that there were no good links but Keycloak
is pretty broad and I had to do a lot of research and dig in to find good ones.
One of my mistakes here was that I was trying to find good links, good articles
and completely neglected the side of watching videos. Then, with a couple of
videos I have been able to understand and find good resources that I shared
with the group.
Looking to my personal achievement and work, I want to improve the way I
share my thoughts with the team. I barely created issues during the first
sprint planning, and was not really involved in sharing my ideas and opinions. I was
contributing to the conversations but never putting anything visual on GitLab
as a proof of my contribution. So, for the next sprint, I decided that I will
be more involved and put up my work to show my contribution to the group.
Looking at the team work, we did an amazing job working together on our
first sprint. We all listened to each other, everyone felt comfortable talking
and sharing their ideas. Also, everyone put a good effort and got the work
done. But one thing I think we need to work more on is the communication among
us out of class. Having a little time of communication did not make the first
sprint planning easy. We were all working on our tasks and talking about it
just in class either on Mondays and Wednesdays. So, organizing ourselves and
try to find a time for all of us that works and schedule weekly meetings out of the
class so we can talk more about the project, our tasks and express whatever
thoughts, opinions and questions we have at the moment will be very helpful. And, we
can meet via zoom or discord voice channels and talk more about the project.
The two issues that I worked on:
Deploying Keycloak on AWS Kubernetes: https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/common-services/identity-and-access-management-system/general/-/issues/5
From the blog CS@Worcester – Gracia's Blog (Computer Science Major) by gkitenge and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.