As I take my final step towards my journey in software C.D.A. this blog would be the last one regarding my journey with learning and researching topic related to my class Software Construction Design and Architecture. For this blog I will be talking about the blog “API management with Kong” by Alexander Melnyk. This blog is about the importance of API management and why does it matter. It also focuses on the Kong Architecture.
In the blog it explain why API management matter. The idea of API management is that it plays an important role when it comes to integration. Which can be done “by providing clear boundaries and abstractions between systems”. The blog also explains a few “ways to tackle the technical complexity and how Kong API gateway can help deal with it”. You may be wondering what is Kong it is an open source API gateway to manage RESTful APIs.” However the blog gives a better description of what and how it is use for. There are five components of Kong architecture:
- nginx – “The core low-level component” also the most popular used web server.
- OpenResty – “a web platform that glues nginx core, LuaJIT, Lua libraries and third-party nginx modules to provide a web server for scalable web applications and web services.”
- Datastore – is a component that “uses Apache Cassandra or PostgreSQL to handle the storage of the configuration data, consumers, and plugins of all APIs.”
- plugins – “are Lua modules that are executed during a request/response life-cycle. They enrich the API gateway with functionalities for different use cases.”
- RESTful admin API – It is used to manage the API and provide an important tool to automate developers workflows.
The blog goes on and covers the Kong API gateway in action which “will show you how to create a minimal infrastructure for Kong API gateway. Then I will add an API and a security plugin to restrict the access to a specific user.” and then covers the consumers and plugins. If you have found this topic interesting or if your curiously left with question click on the title link above and read the blog the blogger does a much better job at explaining and getting the message across then I do.
Personally I really enjoyed reading the blog because it helped me realize that the Kong Architecture is in fact very useful and important. I also found the blog to be well written full of useful and important information that will benefit me as a software developer.
Thank you for your time. This has been YessyMer in the World Of Computer Science, until next time.
From the blog cs@Worcester – YessyMer In the world of Computer Science by yesmercedes and used with permission of the author. All other rights reserved by the author.