With the ending of my last sprint in my capstone class I have completed my first of many cycles of development. Throughout this series of three sprints I have gained a better understanding of what I can expect of myself and how I can begin to improve my performance in an actual working environment. This last sprint, like the previous two before, taught me new concepts that I had not previously considered when going into the sprint. Throughout this sprint, especially in the last two weeks, the mains idea that stuck out to me was that of legacy, and what our group leaves behind for those who are coming next.
When beginning this sprint, I had first focused on what was laid out during the planning session, involving the implementation of docker and containerization in general on to our identity access management system. The system worked when running on the operating system without any overhead so the next step was to get it working with docker to later be adapted to the Kubernetes clusters being used to host the Libre Food Pantry system. On the second of three weeks into this sprint, it had occurred just how close we were to the end of our journey and I began looking at the other spring backlog items. The one that struck me as most important was working on refining existing tutorials within the GitLab repository for the next group of developers to be easily able to get up to speed on what has been done and what needs to be done.
As in previous sprints, time estimation, while once again improved, was a problem for us. This was especially noticeable as the end of our journey loomed closer. While we had not gotten as much done as we would have liked to, we had made a concerted effort to condense our findings into the important information and save it to the GitLab repository for future groups to pick up on.
Our group was tasked with creating a presentation for the end of the semester and this helped us to filter unnecessary information and include only the most important parts that applied to the project at hand. To go along with this I myself had even created a tutorial video that exemplified all of my own findings which would allow new groups to create a secured application with key cloak. Despite being a basic webpage, it is better to start with this than with nothing like our group had.
As a group we can still improve not just on our time allocation but also our recording of information. Being able to properly record our finding as we make them is important in allowing both the group and future developers to have easy access to pertinent information regarding this project. I myself could have made this a focus as I performed research from the very beginning and would have had a library of information for it.
Aside from this however, I still have a long was to go in making an effort to communicate with my peers. I often find myself “suffering in silence” whenever I run into a roadblock and, just as before, I tend to withdraw and become distant which benefits no one at the end of the day.
Overall however I can say with certainty that there is a foundation here for future developers to work on. Our legacy will have an impact on future progress and provides a point for future groups to jump off of in order to finish what we started. The updated ReadMe created in the repository will hopefully hold useful information to users that takes away from the research that would have been spent on getting key cloak working in the first place.