One issue our team was having during this sprint was that getting or deleting a guest, after creating the guest, was returning a 404 not found response. We were having a difficult time identifying the cause of this reversion of good behavior, so I learned how to use the
git bisect subcommand to find the commit, found the change within the commit that caused the bug, and reverted that change. It ended up being that we could not refer specifically to the
/guests endpoint token within the OpenAPI server URL value without other changes.
Continued existence in frontend (we just need to make sure the right API YAML file is being used in all the repos now): https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/theas-pantry/guestinfosystem/guestinfofrontend/-/issues/57
Chai has very nice syntax, which together with chai-http lets you call should on an object, such as
object.should.have.status(200), or to call
chai.expect(object) when the object might or might not exist. I wrote some simple unit tests, such as verifying that the version string has a range in [5,8] —
('0.0.0' - '99.99.99') — for getting the API version. As with other tests, being able to call them quickly with
cd src && npm run test while the server is running on localhost is a useful holdover until we get the CI pipeline working.
I did some pre-sprint-3 cleanup by removing the Chai (not Chai-HTTP) example
I cleaned up our set of unit tests, for the create guest endpoint, which I think is now the first to be in a really good state concerning test coverage not including the get API endpoint. This includes a cleanup step at the end (so tests can be run repeatedly without rebuilding the server), several HTTP requests: both valid and invalid, examining many of the properties of the returned responses. One trick I learned was to assign a const object to store guest data and then repeatedly copy it with the spread
Overall, I think I did decently. I helped Kelvin a little with some of his issues. He individually, and our team as a whole, did a great job this sprint. We began and completed work on multiple epics. We ended in a state where now, 1 week from the end of sprint 3, we think we can finish up everything that we wanted and agreed to get to in our sprint 3 planning meeting.
One challenge I faced that I couldn’t resolve was an unfortunate technical difficulty. Despite multiple restarts, re-cloning the repos, and checking my installed program versions, my computer stopped being able to run the server. I eventually gave up after a few hours of trial and error, and moved to a different computer, but I suspect the problem was in an incompatibility involving the rolling-release software update model used by Arch Linux. I’ve now had 2 confirmed and 2 other suspected significant issues that might have been avoided by using LTS software.
Our team could probably improve our communication. It’s hard to find time after Thursday and before Tuesday to plan or collaborate on changes. Early this semester I supported working asynchronously, but in retrospect having an hour or two per week of planned collaboration probably would have led to more productivity and confidence without an unreasonable cost.