For this third and final sprint, we were the most efficient and organized thus far. It is really neat to look back to the first sprint and see how much we improved as a team. From us in the first sprint not really knowing much about how to work as a team in sprints, to now working well together as a team for many weeks and understanding the sprint structure pretty well. Though the structure seemed somewhat daunting at first, I have grown to like the sprint structure and the entire workflow throughout my time of working on the Reporting System. I think that the best way to learn anything, especially for me, is through experience, so diving right in and getting first-hand experience with sprints, sprint planning, sprint retrospective, etc. really helped me to understand how it works, not only in theory, but in a practical sense.
The first thing that we improved upon over time, and even more so with this sprint, is the sprint planning. At the beginning, judging what we thought we could get done during a sprint was mostly just guessing work, but as time went on of working on issues, we were better able to judge how long an issue would take to work on and the weight that should be assigned to each issue. However, even with the first sprint, and definitely now, we were good about finishing as much as we wanted to during each sprint. This means that we did a good job of judging how long it would take to work on each issue, and how much we could get done.
The next thing we improved at over time was the sprint retrospective. This ties into how we were able to do well with the sprint planning, because only through discussing what we did well, and what we could improve upon during the sprint retrospective could we focus our efforts upon improving specific areas and keeping up with what we were already doing well. This is why I think that the sprint retrospective is one of the most important parts of the process. This is because even if team members are individually good, only by discussing with other team members about your strengths and weaknesses can you assist each other, and improve as an individual, as well as overall as a team.
I think that the most impressive thing about our achievements over the 3 sprints is that we now have either a working, or very close to working system. While at the beginning of the sprint we only had some of the backend, we now have a working backend, frontend, and API. Additionally, we have the endpoints and functionality in place for the ultimate goal of the system, generating a report. It is really neat to think that we as a team achieved the goal of having the system generate a report, and all the components coming together to do so, as well as the functionality in place for RabbitMQ to interface with the other systems. It is also really neat to think that future teams will be building upon what we did, using the code that we wrote, and using the documentation we wrote as a roadmap. In this way, we had an impact upon the future of the Reporting System, and the whole food pantry project as a whole.
Updated backend to include more detail, including the containers and images used, and the endpoints available.
Updated API to include the methods for the endpoints, as well as what parameters are required.